headerText

Me and My Selves: August. Lola. Charlie. Margot.

Logo Header

Nov 20, 2013

Cancer Prevention Recipe: Cooked Spinach Side Dish


Spinach is something I eat almost everyday with my dinner. I think it is just absolutely delicious. I make it for my husband who is a serious meat eater and he demolishes this side. I have a very simple recipe which includes other cancer preventative ingredients. I usually pair this side with a yam
and salmon, or just eat it by itself. 

Ingredients

1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
1 bag frozen cut leaf spinach
1 tsp. lemon
2 tbsp. butter
½ tsp salt 
¾ onion 
2 chopped garlic cloves
½ red crushed pepper

♥ Heat olive oil over medium-high heat
♥ Saute onion for about one minute
♥ Add garlic until tender but not browned
♥ Add frozen bag of spinach, toss everything until mixed evenly
♥ Add lemon, butter, and red crushed pepper
♥ Reduce to low and cover
♥ Uncover and stir until spinach is defrosted and tender
The bag of spinach that I buy is less than two dollars, and it makes me about three hearty servings as a side dish. I am careful not to overcook the spinach. You want to keep the bright green color to it and conserve it's beneficial properties. 

Benefits

Spinach- Contains Omega 3 fatty acids, cholorophyll (protects against carcinogens), carotenoids (antioxidants-fights free radicals which which destroy cell membranes and DNA), vitamin k (for proper blood clotting), vitamin a, b, c & e, antioxidants and minerals that fight the creation of tumors in addition to minimizing cancer developing molecules. 

Onion- Contains fructans (encourage the growth of helpful bacteria), flavonoids (prevents DNA damage which might lead to cancer), organosulfar (prevents blood clots). 

Garlic- Inhibits the cancer process by helping prevent gene mutation, tumor growth and the spread of cancer cells. 

Garlic and Onions are always available and are affordable. I always buy a large onion and a pack of two large garlic cloves every time I go into the grocery store. I also keep a bottle of garlic pills in my home to help fight colds and viruses. By incorporating this spinach side dish into your weekly meal prep, you are really helping your body protect itself. I eat spinach at least 3-4 times a week. I think it's truly delicious and I feel like Popeye the Sailorman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment