headerText

Me and My Selves: August. Lola. Charlie. Margot.

Logo Header

Sep 22, 2013

How To Do A Henna Treatment



I use henna to coat my hair with all of its wonderful properties. It gives it shine and color and I feel like I have a suit of armor around my hair strands. It's a great conditioner, especially upon several uses. I know if you don't like the reddish brown tint, you can use indigo which will naturally color your hair black.





I have thought about using it, but I'm still cool with my current hair color from the henna. I have been using henna very...very infrequently for about a year. This past two weeks, I have done it twice. But honestly, I think I am going to take a break from it and try another treatment. I will post that as soon as I get to it.

I buy two bags of henna from my local Indian grocery store. For about 3 bucks each.I honestly get whatever kind of henna they have in stock when I get there. I have never seen any differences between the different kinds, and I have used them all at one point in time.

My Henna Recipe 
I make a big batch and freeze it so I have more than enough

2 Bags of Henna
Either 4 Bags Green Tea or 3 Bags Green Tea and 3 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
(This particular time I had 3 bags of green tea left so I added 3 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar)
2 Tbsp Honey
3 Cups Water


I steep the tea in the boiling water, then let it cool.
Once cooled I add the green tea to the henna powder and mix until smooth and silky like honey texture.
I added the apple cider vinegar then let that sit overnight.
Then I added the honey right before I put it in my hair.


I applied the henna in my hair one section at a time. I sectioned my hair in four sections, then split up each of those sections in half to get the henna on every strand. Once my whole head was covered, I put on a shower cap and let sit at least 4 hours. Sometimes I put it in between 4 and 10 hours. I don't really sleep with it in anymore.


When it's time to rinse, I stick my head in the kitchen sink and rinse out as much as I can, add conditioner and let that sit in my head for about another hour. Then I jump in the shower and rinse everything out, add a little more conditioner to detangle my hair. Once detangled, I get out the shower, hold my head over the tub and rinse with cold water.


I then let my hair dry a bit so it's not dripping wet, and then I add olive oil and whatever styling product I decide to use and I braid my hair.


That's it. I say have a day to devote to doing this, and a few shower caps, disposable gloves and a loose hat to throw on in case you need to go out to run some errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment