headerText

Me and My Selves: August. Lola. Charlie. Margot.

Logo Header

Jul 25, 2013

Coconut Milk and Yogurt for Natural Hair

During my internet travels across the natural hair hemispheres, I came across a homemade hair treatment that is supposed to soften hair, reduce shedding and frizz. All of those things sounded good to me, so I decided to give it a try. The one thing I need to come to terms with seriously, is that any of these treatments will need a consistent application routine. I don't know about you, but routines are something I tend to struggle with. That being said, it's important to try a treatment out for a few weeks. 

Coconut & Yogurt Hair Treatment
1/3 Can Coconut Milk
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Olive Oil or Any (I used Olive as it was what I had available)
1/2 Cup Organic Plain Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice or 1 Lime Juiced
Cornstarch for thickening

Mix all ingredients except cornstarch. Be careful with the coconut milk which can make things very runny and difficult to apply. Slowly add the cornstarch in, just a tiny bit at a time so it can dissolve completely. Smash out any lumps and clumps. Apply to wet hair and leave in for at least 30 minutes.

Wash out with a cleanser and conditioner. It is best if you make it a part of a regimen, so you can see more results the more you use it. I am trying to do this myself. The tub of organic yogurt I buy is so large and I feel like I need to use it up while it is fresh, so that can be motivation to do it more than once a month. Oh, and make sure you rinse out very well. I was lazy once and my scalp suffered the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment